5 Luxury Hybrids We Don’t Want

By | February 2, 2010

Hybrid cars. They’re all the rage among Hollywood starlets and the object of affection for anyone associated with the word “green.” And while cars like the Honda Insight and Toyota Prius serve their purpose, the hybrid industry has been turned into a total joke with the introduction of large, luxury hybrids. Here are five totally undesirable, overpriced, and essentially pointless luxury hybrids we don’t want:

5. Lexus LS Hybrid- $108,800 MSRP

4. BMW 7-Series Hybrid- $110,000 (estimated)

3. Mercedes-Benz S400 Hybrid- $89,660 MSRP

2. Lexus GS Hybrid- $54,900 MSRP

1. Cadillac Escalade Hybrid- $74,375 (plus your logical reasoning)[Chad Waite]

Bradley Nicholson on February 2, 2010 at 2:19 am.

Honestly, I like the lexus LS hybrid. I’m not much of a lexus guy, but it does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. The mileage does suck for a hybrid, but it’s better than the regular gas one. I would never BUY one, but it doesn’t stop me from wanting one. kinda.

Britton Kowalk on February 2, 2010 at 7:42 am.

While I love your price for the Escalade, I also have to admit I’ve never disagreed more with one of your posts. I want every one of those cars. Like Brad, I’ll never fork over the money for one. But I want them all.

Especially the LS hybrid. My Grandma owns one and it is a marvel of engineering! It’s a few inches shorter than a suburban, but it feels like you’re driving a sports car. Plus it has freaking massage seats in all 4 seats. All 4! Take a look at this interior and try to tell me with a straight face that you don’t wish you drove this:

Chad Waite on February 2, 2010 at 4:56 pm.

I would love to own any of these cars- just not the pointless hybrid versions. Just because they have a hybrid system doesn’t make them “marvel of engineering.”

Most of them only get about 2-3 mpg more than their gasoline counterparts. Just put some low-resistant tires on and drive sensibly and you can match that.

Britton Kowalk on February 3, 2010 at 1:33 am.

Ah. OK. Now I agree entirely.

Martin Sturrock on February 3, 2010 at 5:56 pm.

totally agree Chad. Hbrids are a totally misguided effort to “save the planet”. Same goes for plugin electrics. I just don’t get how manufacturers can’t see the vision of Honda with their hydrogen electric car and do the same.

tom eling on December 13, 2015 at 8:58 pm.

This makes no sense the person made this article is just plain jealous for three simple reasons
1. The said prices for all luxury cars well duh there mercs BMS and lexis
2. They simply stated “no one wants them” of course lots of people around the world wants them just admit don’t be jealous
3. They didnt give a reason for any of the cars the just said stupid Honda accords and priuses stand for the rye reason
(No pun intended)
I don’t own any of these cars or any luxury vehicle
I do not dislike the Prius or accord
Besides the LS and 750 escalad e merc GS are likable cars