Ferrari F12Berlinetta Gets Naked

By | February 29, 2012

ferrari f12berlinetta front three quarters red

Today is absolutely one of the greatest days for Ferrari fans as the successor to the 599GTB was stripped down in all its glory.

Codenamed the F620 GT, Ferrari prepared and teased us with hints that it would be the fastest and most powerful Ferrari ever. Now, after this morning’s official unveil, we have the stats:

Ferrari F12Berlinetta
730hp / 590 ft-lb torque
Redline: 8,700 RPM
0-60: 3.1 sec
Top Speed: Unknown

… Oh yeah…and it’s hot. WAY hot.

ferrari f12berlinetta side red

ferrari f12berlinetta rear three quarters red

ferrari f12berlinetta rear red

ferrari f12berlinetta front red

The New F12berlinetta (and no, you don’t have to call it that) lapped the Fiorano circuit in 1:23 flat. Compare that to the outgoing 599GTB (1:26.50) and the legendary Enzo (1:24.90) to see that this is seriously one piece of machine.

Whether you like the Fisker Karma-and-458 Italia-made-babies styling or the engine that might feel more at home teaching Chuck Norris how to improve his epic roundhouse kick, this model is a crowd pleaser.

Finally a flagship model that can actually be an upgrade from the gorgeous 458 Italia.

[ | Photos Courtesy of Ferrari]

Chance Hales on February 29, 2012 at 11:44 pm.

This thing is stunning!  My only complaint is that Ferrari had to use the same headlight buckets across their range now minus the California…   Oh, and the B in Berlinetta shouldn’t be capitalized.  It wasn’t in the press release.;)

AJ Wilcox on March 1, 2012 at 7:24 am.

Really? I love the 458/FF lights with the LEDs running all the way up. Guaranteed the California gets them on the next refresh.

I was trying to do title case in a way that would make that super long word be understandable at quick glance. I concede it’s written improperly for the purpose of marketing :)  I did do it properly in the body of the article, though!

Matthew S. Davis on March 1, 2012 at 7:59 am.

I really dig the backside of this sucker.

AJ Wilcox on March 1, 2012 at 8:35 am.

Me too, but what’s the deal with that keypad in the center of the bumper? Maybe something like the tail connector from Avatar so you can tame and pilot it like a boss. Either way, it’s not a huge departure from the back of the 599, but that diffuser is awesome looking.

Shah Brionez on March 1, 2012 at 9:23 am.

Sure is a looker!  Am I the only one that misses the vents and unique C pillar from the 599?  Also your Avatar keypad looks like a brake light out of an F1 car!  Can’t wait to see this review on Top Gear!

Coil packs are the new cool on March 1, 2012 at 9:30 am.

Yes- I totally miss the weird “external” c-pillar on the 599. But man, this thing is such a good looking vehicle. Ferrari really did a good job on this.

I also don’t think I’ve seen a car with that long of a hood since the MB SLR. It is so dang long.

AJ Wilcox on March 1, 2012 at 10:48 am.

The hood is quite long. Methinks that there is an engine that is many Subway footlongs long they had to wedge under there.

I totally miss the c-pillars. They really scaled down the air intakes on this model, which is quite sad. On the other hand, the 458 is the new styling direction and it doesn’t have any on the side profile. I gues Ferrari’s going minimalistic on vents.

Shah, I’ll bet you’re right – it’s probably a cool F1 brake light. Much cooler than a Na’avi tail connection interface…

Shah Brionez on March 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm.

You know I didn’t really notice how large the hood was until you mention it and I take a second look.  More like 100th look to be honest.

What’s your take on the new smily face.  The FF and F12 have a very similar front end.  The F12 looks much more agressive than the FF.

Coil packs are the new cool on March 1, 2012 at 4:09 pm.

I guess I don’t mind the style. I think the LED row headlights are beautiful, but it does make the car a bit smiley.

The thing is, parts of me thing that Ferraris are starting to become way too overstyled. My favorite prancing horse of all time was undoubtedly the Enzo. Everything was functional, angular, and simple. There weren’t a million weird curves or bulbous areas placed on every conceivable spot on the car. That’s why I’m not a huge fan of the California either.

Chance Hales on March 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm.

I don’t think the hood is as long as you’d think…  I would bet the hood of the SLS is longer.
Also, for the record, I do like the headlights.  I just don’t like that ALL the Ferraris now have the exact same ones.  Ferraris aren’t supposed to be cookie cutters…

Matthew S. Davis on March 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm.

I miss the C pillar as well from the 599.  I think that was one of my favorite design elements from the car.

Matthew S. Davis on March 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm.

The F-40 is my favorite, it’s extremely spartan but it’s sweet.  The 458 is probably my second favorite in styling.

Matthew S. Davis on March 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm.

Ha ha… lots of foot longs!

AJ Wilcox on March 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm.

Hey, look on the bright side. At least we still have the floating, curvy air intake on the Lexus LFA. That was my 2nd favorite design element.

Shah Brionez on March 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm.

Was the 1st that HUGE gap in the hood.  I know it’s for air intake, but looks like someone popped the hood, and forgot to put it back down.  LOVE the interior of the LFA!  Oh, and the sound!

Shah Brionez on March 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm.

Chance, I’m glad someone else feels the same way!  Are all of the headlights the same part number now?

Chance Hales on March 2, 2012 at 7:19 pm.

I think they are all ever so slightly different but only just.  I know in the case of the FF and the 458 they are exactly the same.
Random fact: the Lamborghini Diablo used Nissan 300ZX headlights when they switched to the non-pop-up lights.

Chance Hales on March 2, 2012 at 7:24 pm.

I must say, I don’t like the swoopy-side thing.  It looks better on the Mazda5.  Its too exaggerated here.  It is however a very functional aerodynamic shape that improves both downforce and gas mileage believe it or not

Shah Brionez on March 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm.

Really, the 458 and FF have the same headlights?  Wow!  Ramdom fact: I loved the Diablo and 300ZX.  Had a Toyota Supra with the pop up headlights in the early 90′s.  Ahhh loved that car!

Chance Hales on March 13, 2012 at 9:22 pm.

Yeah it really is fascinating some of the parts shared by cars.  Another random fact, the Porsche Cayenne brakes are cheaper than the brakes for the VW Touareg!  Best part is, they are the same thing!