Speed Freak’s Dream GoKart – And You Can Own It

By | April 22, 2012

r1 6spd shifter gokart

Speed freaks everywhere are always searching for inexpensive ways to get their adrenaline thrills. If your budget allows you to routinely take an Ariel Atom out to the track, you may be luckier than us in the 99%. For the rest of us, $5k is a relatively inexpensive, and even reasonable way to go 150mph.

The video is 10 minutes long, and was a pretty religious experience for us. You’ll see the insane driver breaking a laundry list of laws, passing a biker popping a wheeling, and at the end, passing by a cop.

If you’re curious, it’s a traditional shifter kart frame with a Yamaha R1 motorcycle engine and transmission – good for 150+ horsepower. A huge engine on a tiny frame is a sure-fire recipe for Veyron-like acceleration and speed. And it’s for sale right now. If you buy it, we need to see you driving it out at Miller Motorsports Park!

[ | YouTube]

Chad 'Superleggera' Waite on April 23, 2012 at 11:29 am.

As awesome as this kart is, the driver is a total douche. That is probably the most excessively reckless driving on public roads I’ve ever seen short of a police chase.

AJ Wilcox on April 23, 2012 at 11:38 am.

Agreed 100%. I don’t have the bowling balls in my shorts to go on a rampage like that. I envy his ownership of the machine, but I don’t condone his actions at all. As an aside, his driving TOTALLY sucked – when you’re driving a gokart, it’s so precise that there is no excuse for cutting into oncoming traffic on a left-hand turn.

Kitster on April 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm.

I’m not a motorcycle person so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. ¬†Would this cart really perform any better than the motorcycle that usually carries this engine? I would think that any weight savings from the frame would be more than offset by the loss of mechanical advantage from the tiny wheels.

Chad 'Superleggera' Waite on April 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm.

See, that’s what I though. The top speed has to be severely cut down by the small wheels. That said, this thing will corner far, far better than a bike. 4 wheels will always corner better than 2, no matter what size the wheels are. Also, the center of a gravity on a kart is so much lower than that of a bike.

AJ Wilcox on April 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm.

¬†Yeah, a Yamaha R1 would still accelerate faster. There is a video out there of this kart blowing a tire at 180mph (not converted from the larger-diameter R1 motorcycle, so probably closer to 120mph) and it just spun… Never flipped. Being that low to the ground with that much speed, in that wide of a track would be a trip to experience.

adam on July 14, 2012 at 8:47 am.

im fed up of seeing these stupid bandit toy’s it makes professional karting look a joke.

they can never even drive it properly and drive off the throttle 99percent of the time.

go to a local kart club you will get slaughtered even if you use that by cadets

posotive on October 18, 2012 at 8:22 am.

though his driving isnt the best, you guys are just bitches who are complaining about him breaking the law. he took a chance had a badass time and got it all on camera……you simply dont understand. he wore full protective gear and even almost always looked both ways and atleast slowed down enough to know for sure if the intersection he was coming up to was clear. HE EVEN STOPPED AT SOME STOP SIGNS! if you had the balls to do what he did, you would look at this in a whole different perspective. how can you seriously say he is making professional karting look like a joke? its a guy mobbing a kart down public roads instead of a track. i would much rather do that than only take it to a track. quit bitching

AJ on October 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

@Posotive – I’m SOOOO glad he stopped at SOME stop signs. Look, here’s something you might not understand. He could have been wearing all kevlar for all I care – he’s still dead if he gets hit (read: run over). Plus he’s below the view of any of the cars on the road. He might as well be invisible, which makes getting hit a real possibility. You can talk now about how big of testicles this guy has for doing it all you want, but if you tell me that if you hit this guy and killed him, even if you were following all traffic rules, that you wouldn’t feel terrible for the rest of your life, you don’t have an understanding of how life works. He needlessly endangered his own lives, as well as the lives of others who would surely swerve into other vehicles before running over a gokart by choice. This is a crime, that, although appears sexy, is way beyond stupid.

michael on November 19, 2012 at 5:10 pm.

i want his go kart

AJ Wilcox on November 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm.

Amen, Michael…. Amen.

When you consider speed for the money, you can literally put this gokart together with an R1 engine and do it for less than $10k. It would accelerate and handle like a supercar. The second I get that kind of chump change sitting around, I’m in!

scott on June 3, 2013 at 7:54 am.

I fort that cart was nuts I love it an I fort he was the best of drivers I would of ripped the shit out of that if was him an for the police I wud of turned round an had a buzz wiv him so for all u rongens out their hush ya mouths

AJ Wilcox on June 3, 2013 at 8:55 am.

Scott, I would respond on that comment somehow, but I honestly don’t know what you said.

R Nygaard on October 8, 2013 at 1:28 am.

Scott, be honest… is that English?

Josh on April 3, 2015 at 2:19 pm.

Guys…this cart is really amazing. You are missing the entire point. This guy has made a cart that would be ridiculously fun to drive, and he’s enjoying it how it’s meant to be enjoyed. You don’t make fast vehicles and then drive the speed limit. If you don’t have the balls to drive like this then shut up and go somewhere else. No one cares that you don’t condone his driving, its already done and I’m sure he doesn’t care. Grow some balls and go build your prius that you drive 20 miles under the speed limit in.

zach on April 7, 2015 at 2:43 pm.

i think hes got talent at driving. im only 12 and i drive a tractor and its got gears on it and shifting gears, watching the road and passing over hills gets kinda hard somtimes.

UallSuck on June 20, 2015 at 9:49 pm.

Well I don’t care what any of thes haten ass people say keep up the good work some people will never get y a true gear head does what he or she does I get it hit 4.9 sec in the 1/8 today baby

UallSuck on June 20, 2015 at 9:53 pm.

Adams a douche professional karting like a joke bahahaha some body seem s lil jealous I think

EdwardWi on January 10, 2016 at 9:52 pm.

Damn i wish i have an enginneer to modify it i have r1 2010 sitting on my garage i would like do that too xd

Jordan jones on March 17, 2016 at 8:50 pm.

How much are you trying to sell it for?

Shifter Kart Nut on November 30, 2016 at 12:37 am.

Omg this thing looks insane

Go kart dude on December 8, 2016 at 10:02 pm.

What frame is that?

Jimmy on December 30, 2016 at 10:29 pm.

Is cart still available??

James Liles on June 7, 2017 at 3:32 pm.

This is for all you panty wastes that are dumping on the driver.
He had more fun in 10 minutes than you guys have had in the last 30 years.
The guy was a pro and it showed. Right down to his abrasion resistant racing suit. WELL DONE!
It’s best that you people stay at home and mow your lawn on Saturday afternoon wearing your Bermuda shorts. You’ll be safe there.

erisaul on March 27, 2018 at 9:29 pm.

all i have to say is Great work well done !!!
can you please email me with info in how to built one or perhaps sell me your lol ..
your the menn bro !!! dont listen to all this HEATTERRSSS HERE !!!! HEATER ARE EVERYWHERE THEIR LIKE FUCKING COCKROACHES LMAOOO.

Marcus Smith on August 16, 2018 at 7:14 pm.

Hey I was jut wondering if the kart was still for sale