The Odds and Ends of the Ferrari Challenge

By | April 12, 2010

As we look back and remember one of the greatest automotive events to hit Utah, we can’t forget a few of the odder things we saw and the amazing people we met.

First off was the pit cart ‘Ferraris’.  I’m pretty sure this is the only Ferrari on hand that I can afford.  Every team had their own iteration of the motorized tool boxes but on this particular one if you look closely you’ll see a Foose box on top, could this be hinting at a possible future collaboration?

During one of the 599XX sessions we couldn’t help but notice the ‘technology’ used to assist in cleaning the breaks and keeping them ventilated-

Ferrari 599XX Break Ventilation

But I guess we just expected some crazy contraption Ferrari had spent millions of dollars on to develop. Kudos to them for being frugal and using something that obviously gets the job done.

Then there was the fan and Ferrari owner car show in the parking lot. It was  a true smorgasbord of everything Italian and Ferrari.  But there were quite a few other gems that people brought to show off.  One in particular was this amazing rat rod-

Rat Rod

If the seats were any lower you literally would be dragging tail! I can’t even begin to fathom what it’s like to drive this beast but two thumbs up to the creator of this piece of hot rod craftsmanship!

Then there were the people.  From the FXX drivers and 430 Challenge teams to the local Ferrari owners and track officials, EVERYONE– and we mean everyone– was amazingly friendly. Even the exhibitors, like Rex and our boys from American Speed Club or Jeff at Tatum Racing, were incredibly outgoing and helpful. I think Ferrari owners and racers sometimes get unfairly stereotyped as being D-bags but not a single one was found this weekend.  Miller Motorsports Park is truly world class and no doubt is the greatest race track in America thanks to its people, amenities and of course the amazing atmosphere that can only be found in Utah.  If you haven’t been to the track yet, get off your butt and get out to one of the many upcoming racing events.  You will be glad you did.

Now for some more gratuitous pics from the weekend-

599XX 430 Challenge

[Brandon Christiansen]

Holly on April 12, 2010 at 1:33 am.

Wow, those are siiiiick! Haha I love the leafblower, classy touch. Great post!

Kirill on April 12, 2010 at 4:31 am.

Haha i love your blog! Solid info and i love the humor that can be felt through writing! Awesome job guys! Ferrari Challenge rocked! I was there too, and saw Chad Waite. Shout out to you man!=) Hahah i got a video from there on my blog http://www.youtube.com/getthrobbing titled 458 Italia. Have fun you guys!

FB_1234097888 on April 12, 2010 at 9:00 am.

Nice pics! I especially like the one with CS4 motion blur applied at the end. ;)

Ray Therat on April 13, 2010 at 1:40 am.

Just a bit of info for yer edification: The rat rod is owned by Brian Thomas. It’s power comes from a Packard straight-8 with McCullough (Paxton) blower puffing through 4 Stromberg 97 carbs.

It’s been around for a while, but it made the cover AND the “centerfold” article in the February 2010 Hot Rod Magazine. This is an achievement worthy of a great deal of praise. Besides, Brian belongs to the Utah Salt Flats Racing Association (keep this quiet, but they let me in, too.)

If that’s not enough, his father, Richard, also has a rat powered by a Pontiac straight-8 with 7 Strombergs and an interior finished in “early license plate” decor.

I think it’s an inherited thing…sorta like many other forms of madness.

A photo of Richard’s rod can be found on my website:

Nice meetin youse guys at the track Saturday. I wimped out Sunday cuz so many things went wrong that I figgered I’d be better off hiding under the bed.

Chad Waite on April 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm.

Yo Ray! Dude, thanks for all that info. The sad part is that seeing it in pictures still doesn’t do seeing it in the flesh justice.

It was excellent meeting you out there as well. Let us know if you’re ever back up at MMP and we’ll meet up.

Ray Therat on April 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm.

I’m considering the Porsche Club outing this weekend, as well as the Jelsco car show at 2240 N Hwy 89, Harrisburg,

Weather will be the determining factor. Right now the weather looks pretty decent for both days, so I might try to do both: the PCA event in the morning and the show in the afternoon.

Let’s stay in touch. Ya never know, ya might need a contributing photographer/writer. :)

Brandon on April 14, 2010 at 5:32 pm.

We’ll definitely stay in touch! We are always looking for quality contributors and would love anything from you!

We’ll be up at MMP this Saturday too for some karting, we’ll come say hi if you end up being there!
There’s also a large meet planned at Rallysportdirect that we’ll be checking out. If you have something you would like to send us from the Jelsco car show we’ll post it up!