Video: 2012 Nissan GT-R vs BMW M5 w/ Poll

By | February 2, 2012

BMW F10 M5 vs 2013 Nissan GT-R

Often times the most unconventional match ups make for the most entertaining. Top Gear’s epic comparison of a Daihatsu Materia and an Ascari A10 comes to mind immediately.

Autocar decided to go down the same route, albeit not quite as radical of a comparison as Top Gear did, and had the new BMW F10 M5 face off against the 2013 Nissan GT-R. Each car has nearly the same horsepower (552 for the M5 and 542 for the GT-R) and both are priced within $2000 of each other.

But they aren’t exactly what you’d call same class competitors. The Bimmer can seat four grown adults in refined Bavarian comfort while doing 0-62 in 4.4 seconds and won’t stop till it hits 155 mph. On the other hand, the GT-R can seat two adults in comfort and two more in backseats with space similar to underground Vietcong tunnels. Comfort aside, the more track focused GT-R sprints to 60 mph in a hard-to-comprehend 2.9 seconds and tops out at 199 mph.

So what’s the verdict? Take a look at Autocar’s awesome comparison below and vote for which car you’d have:

AJ Wilcox on February 3, 2012 at 8:51 am.

This one is a hard choice because you specified which one we’d buy. That’s easy – I’d have both! GTR is a great machine for the track and for pure speed and it’s easy on the pocketbook. I would have the M5 for family duties or give it to the wife. If I could only have one, it would be the M5 because it’s more practical (Thank goodness we don’t buy massive horsepower for practicality!)

Shah Brionez on February 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm.

This really is a hard choice.  I’m going with the GTR.  If I’m spending this kind of money on a vehicle, I think I would want it to stand out just a little more than the M5.  I also think my smile would be a fraction of an inch bigger while driving the GTR, simple as that.

Chadwaite6 on February 3, 2012 at 2:23 pm.

It really isn’t a good matchup in terms of the point of each vehicle. Personally, I’d take the GT-R without a shred of a doubt. But clearly I don’t have kids or a large dog or any other precious cargo that would need a big back seat.

AJ Wilcox on February 3, 2012 at 2:57 pm.

There are lots more things large back seats are good for besides cargo. heh heh heh (obligatory perverted troll comment)

Chadwaite6 on February 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm.

I wouldn’t know. I drive a Miata.

Chance Hales on February 4, 2012 at 11:45 pm.

I’d take the GT-R because of the Veyron acceleration and the mind bending performance for a fraction of the cost of its competitors.  Did I mention its in the very exclusive sub 3sec club?

Shah Brionez on February 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm.

I changed my mind.  As a daily driver, the quality of the interior is much better in the M5.  Plus with the trick diff, you can let the back end hang out there.  Not so sure you can do that in a GTR.

Stephen on August 10, 2012 at 2:17 am.

I’d much rather have a GT-R because of the handling, the looks, and the people I generally see in BMWs are not my kind of people.